Reckon is seeking a highly organized deputy editor to help our start-up newsroom continue producing high-quality award-winning work and accelerate growth for our audience of young Southerners whose experiences and perspectives aren’t typically seen in mainstream media.
The person for this job should be obsessed with Reckon and its audience. You should be organized enough to manage content budgets, systems and processes to keep our newsroom running smoothly. You should be creative enough to help us think of strategies to reach new audiences, develop new products, implement an events strategy and grow our start-up company.
We need a resourceful, creative problem solver who can help our team consistently produce lively and engaging content every day as well as step in and help as a project editor. This position can be fully remote, with a preference for those who live in the South.
We have a smart, dynamic growing team spread out across the South, and the successful person for this role should want to manage, coach and mentor journalists.
In this role, you’ll:
- Support Reckon’s newsroom in managing a content and social strategy that grows audience and deepens relationships
- Oversee day-to-day reporting, editing and design teams to meet content production goals; edit and evaluate copy for Reckon’s brand style, tone and consistency
- Manage workflows that enable reporters, producers and editors to work efficiently and effectively to report stories on the optimal platform at the optimal time. This includes applying SEO best practices.
- Coordinate team meetings, schedules, and timelines
- A desire to build a brand and grow Reckon’s audience
- Strong copyediting and line editing skills
- A love of project management and passion for creating efficient processes, systems, and workflows
- Experience using spreadsheets to track metrics
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Basic understanding of HTML, familiarity with content management systems and analytics platforms
- Working knowledge of graphic design tools such as Canva and Photoshop
- Familiarity with Microsoft office suite and Slack
- Comfort running staff meetings